Saturday 2 February 2013

My Online Contribution


I usually start of by navigating to my favorite sports website, that is the nation basketball associations website (http://www.nba.com). I check out highlights from the previous game of my favorite team (http://www.nba.com/heat/), from there check out any news on the teams websites, about trades or trade interests, post-game interviews and so on. Then I do the same for other interesting teams in the league. I then get on my favorite online magazines for fashion arts design and culture, such as hypebeast, gq. From there I check out a few of my favorite bloggers websites. I then browse for new music on sites like hotnewhiphop, thisisrnb and so on. I will from there navigate to my favorite new outlets such as cnn, nytimes, yahoo.

It does not just stop there because from these individual websites there are links to things that catch my eyes. From there I get navigated to another site where I can find something even more interesting. This is just a brief synopsis of how I can easily accumulate hours on the Internet browsing. I didn’t include architectural sites, or tumblr pages, or youtube vdeos, or social networking sites (twitter specifically).

Through the brief synopsis it is quite evident that my contribution to online content is slim to none. As Lev Manovich (2008) put it I can be considered the 98.5 % of people that are consumers to the most popular social media sites. Although at one point I must say I manage a tumblr page. Also the blogger page I use to this course can be considered a contribution to online content produced.

Teresa Rizzo’s talk of the exhibitionist tendency, which often times leads to spontaneous postings on video-sharing sites, is unappealing to me. Unlike many today transparency through online content is a concern to me. Our reach online goes much further than in real life. Making a video and posting it on a site like youtube is  a very brave move, due to the fact that the viewer more often than not is not someone who know or will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment